Replacing the Google News API
Wednesday Dec 28, 2011Getty Images
Shafqat Islam/NewsCred CEO
For years, developers relied on the Google News API as a platform to integrate news into applications and web services. Earlier this year, however, Google announced that their News API would be deprecated, along with a number of other search APIs.
Over the past few months, we've been welcoming users of the Google News API who are looking for alternatives. Since we get a lot of common questions about the NewsCred News API, I thought I'd highlight some of our key features as you decide on the suitable alternative to the Google News API for your application needs:
1. Content -- NewsCred's API offers two types of content of access:
- Aggregated headlines and excerpts: Similar to the Google News Search API, we offer developers the ability to query (search) for news headlines and display those headlines along with a short excerpt (usually one or two sentences).
- Full-text news search: Unlike the Google News API, we let developers access fully-licensed, full text news articles from 750+ news source around the world. In these cases, you can display the full text of the article on your site or application.
2. Commercial Use -- Both the headline service as well as the full-text content can be used for commercial purposes. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing and a unique access key. Using the developer access key in our quickstarts, you won't get access to full-text articles.
3. Search versus query -- Our API allows full search capabilities, but also the ability to query by topic ("Barack Obama"), category ("Business"), source ("The Economist"), and more. We have 60,000 pre-curated topics that can be used to get high precision results.
4. Images and videos -- Our API allows for search on other media asset types. For now we support images and videos. Similar to articles, we have aggregated content (YouTube videos, CC-licensed images) as well as "premium" multimedia content (images from Reuters, videos from Bloomberg).
5. Clustering -- Similar to the Google News API, you can use the NewsCred API to get back clusters of news (called "news stories.")
6. Output format -- Similar to the Google News API, we offer JSON output, as well as RSS, XML and even CSV. Generally speaking, we are able to provide a full replacement to the Google News API so we welcome developers who want to try out the NewsCred API to get in touch. Best of all, for non-commercial use, you can use our API for free.
This article you are reading was written by Shafqat for Shafqat Islam/NewsCred CEO and is available for syndication through NewsCred, the world's leading content marketing platform.
- RT @picnoulos: Hottest new ad format: Beards via @NewsCred http://t.co/FP79uB4ZNe #NativeAdvertising #LiteralAds 2 MINUTES AGO
- Jonah Bloom's 7 principles of #contentmarketing http://t.co/kZ99RxKDpf #journalism @Kapost @jonahbloom 33 MINUTES AGO
- 'low-interest industry' does not = low-interest brand, social media or marketing http://t.co/qM6VFPEgcc @B2Community 2 HOURS, 37 MINUTES AGO
- Daily photo inspiration from the NewsCred archives: Circa 1955: A roper lassoes standing on a horse’s backhttp://ow.ly/ld3pE 14 HOURS, 43 MINUTES AGO
- 'One thing is clear: consumer experiences w brands will be more intense' Future of on demand marketing http://t.co/11yDJrc9y1 @McKinsey 16 HOURS, 28 MINUTES AGO
Tuesday May. 21, 2013NewsCred Blog
Tuesday May. 21, 2013NewsCred Blog
Thursday May. 16, 2013NewsCred Blog
Wednesday May. 15, 2013NewsCred Blog
Friday May. 10, 2013
Thursday May. 02, 2013